The Association has received many questions regarding ice fishing on Lac Heney and wishes to provide this extra information for the residents and members.
- The Association was not informed in advance nor was there any consultation by the Ministère des Forêts, de la Faune et des Parcs (MFFP).
- As far as the Association is aware, the approval of ice fishing by the MFFP means that a valid fishing license entitles the holder to fish in provincial waters, as long as they abide by the rules.
- Trout fishing is prohibited throughout the province. The reason fishing for lake trout is prohibited is because it has a disproportionately negative effect on the fish population.
- We have made the MFFP aware of our lake remediation efforts and our concerns regarding winter fishing for trout. They have been on the lake for enforcement purposes.
- Fires on the ice as well as fires near the shore contribute phosphorous and nitrogen to the water. This can increase algae and result in poor water quality after ice out.
The protection of the watershed is of utmost concern to the Association. Regular monitoring has shown that Lac Heney is slowly recovering. The Association will continue to monitor the situation and plans to discuss the issue with representatives of the MFFP in the near future.